These are difficult and unprecedented days for all of us. And our number one priority in a moment like this is making sure we are doing everything we can to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe and healthy. Your wellbeing, and the wellbeing of all our employees, comes first.
At the same time, we are also committed to doing everything we can as a company to support communities and respond to the challenges of this global pandemic. That’s why I’m announcing a series of actions we are taking to marshal HP’s technology and resources to help those in need. First out of the gate, we are:
- Working with the HP Foundation to ensure we devote significant resources to support community response efforts over the coming weeks and months. The Foundation will be working with both global and local partners to prioritize actions where we can have the greatest impact. In addition, we recommend employees use our HP Giving and Volunteering tool for those who would like to donate to organizations that are providing COVID-19 relief both globally and locally. More detail will be shared as we finalize these programs.
- Ensuring all hourly employees receive their planned wages. We will also continue to support contractors and contingent workers who support our sites, such as food service and building services.
- Donating millions of dollars in technology and support through a concerted effort across Personal Systems and Print to help students, families and communities. As part of these efforts, all consumer product warranties expiring between March 1 and April 30 will be automatically extended for 30 days. We are also providing 24/7 Concierge Service to answer customers’ top questions related to COVID-19 at hp.com/help. The Personal Systems, Print and Commercial Organization teams will continue to share updates on steps we are taking to help people and communities in need.
- Mobilizing our 3D Printing team and HP’s Digital Manufacturing Partner Network to design, validate and produce essential parts for medical responders and hospitals. This includes parts such as ventilator valves, breathing filters and face mask clasps, as well as entirely new parts such as plastic door handle adaptors which enable easy elbow opening to prevent further spread of the virus. We will make available any HP proprietary design files for these parts so they can be produced anywhere in the world and are also helping end-customers bridge potential supply chain interruptions by expanding distributed print-on-demand capabilities.
- Deploying HP BioPrinters and associated supply cassettes, free of charge, to NGOs, government agencies and pharmaceutical companies to accelerate drug and vaccine research to combat COVID-19.
We will keep you updated on these and many other activities as we continue to marshal our resources.
I know this is an unsettling time. We are all concerned about our families, friends, neighbors and colleagues. The most important thing we can all do right now is to follow the guidance from public health officials.
This includes social distancing – which is why we are requiring employees who can work from home to do so in most countries, prohibiting travel, and canceling in person HP meetings until further notice.
At the same time, we are taking precautionary measures at our sites that are open. These include more frequent cleaning of high-touch areas and strict access requirements.
Please continue to refer to our internal coronavirus resource page on The Daily Inc., as well as to government resources such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for the most current information.
As we adapt to new routines in our daily lives, it’s also important that we find new ways to stay connected – both inside HP, as well as with our customers and partners.
In the coming weeks and months, I’ll begin hosting a series of virtual forums with HP sites around the world so that we continue to have the opportunity to talk face to face despite current travel restrictions. Other members of the ELT will do the same.
We are also stepping up communication with our customers and partners to express our support and provide resources they can use as they navigate the current environment. The communication we sent last week is available here: HP Response to COVID-19
This is a moment that calls on us to be the best versions of ourselves, to look out for one another, and to remember that we will overcome this challenge the same way we have overcome every other challenge in our past—together.
Thank you so much for everything you are doing, both in your professional and personal lives. Please stay safe and be well.
HP President and CEO